Scholars Portal Definition of AIP
1. Archival Information Package (AIP)
- The information package consisting of the Content Information (CI), Preservation Description Information (PDI), Packaging Information (PI), and Descriptive Information (DI) , that is archived at Scholars Portal.
- The Content Data Object is generally stored separately from the primary preservation metadata file, which is held in the Marklogic database.
- Except in cases where the only content data object is an XML document, the The CDO will be stored on a filesystem with a reference to its location contained in the preservation metadata.
1.3. Packaging Information (PI)
- Packaging information is stored in the form of references between a CDO's descriptive metadata file (see below) and the preservation metadata file. In order to preserve traversability of the metadata from either direction, these links are bi-directional.The Scholars Portal preservation metadata packages both the descriptive and preservation metadata together.
1.4. Descriptive Information (DI)
- o Depending on the type of CDO, the format of this descriptive metadata can vary, but is selected to maximize findability. In all cases, the descriptive metadata will be recreated within the preservation metadata.
2.1. OAIS (2002) CCSDS 650.0-B-1: Reference Model for an Open Archival Archival Information System (OAIS). Blue Book. Issue 1. January 2002 (ISO ISO 14721:2003) http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/650x0b1.pdf accessed 2011.08.24