- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
Welcome to Scholars Portal's Dataverse CTS Certification Project webpage.
|Table of Contents|
A. Project Details
A.1 Important Dates
October 19th 1 pm to 2 pm ET – Scholars Portal Dataverse CTS Cohort Meeting | Topic: Deposit Guidelines
October 28th 1 pm to 2 pm ET - Scholars Portal Dataverse Monthly Community Meeting
November 2nd 2 pm to 4 pm ET – CTS Canada Cohort Writing Group
November 16th 1 pm to 2 pm ET – Scholars Portal Dataverse CTS Cohort Meeting | Topic: Collections Development
November 15th 1 pm to 2pm ET – CTS Canada Cohort Pre-Workshop Chat #2 (preparation for 2nd workshop)
November 25th 1 pm to 2 pm ET - Scholars Portal Dataverse Monthly Community Meeting
A.2 Project Plan
- High-level project approach.
Portage Canadian CoreTrustSeal Cohort: Slack Channel
- 7 Sept 2021 – From Portage/NDRIO: Upcoming CoreTrustSeal Cohort Fall/Winter Activities
- 11 Aug 2021 – From Portage/NDRIO: Saves the Dates: CTS Cohort Meetings Sept 15th & Oct 6th
- 22 June 2021 - From Portage/NDRIO: June 28th Workshop and Participant Survey
- 2 June 2021 - From Scholars Portal: Update on June Meeting for SP DV Cohort
- 31 May 2021 - From Portage/NDRIO: CoreTrustSeal Cohort: Save the date!
- 28 May 2021 - From Scholars Portal: Update CoreTrustSeal Certification Cohort
- 26 May 2021 - From Portage/NDRIO: Update CoreTrustSeal Certification Cohort
- 4 May 2021 - From Portage/NDRIO: Repositories Selected for Cohort & Funding
A.4.a Calendar of Events
A.4.b Agendas & Handouts
B. CTS Certification
You can find CoreTrustSeal (CTS) certification documentation and information on their website: CoreTrustSeal.
Portage has recently (July 2021) had the CTS Extended Guidance document translated to French, unofficially. Please note that the English version is the only version endorsed by CoreTrustSeal.
The Dataverse Project at Harvard has also produced a Dataverse Guide for CTS Certification. This guide outlines what potential responses could include as per three previously successful Dataverse-related applications.
DataverseNL (Tilburg University)
DataverseNO (UiT The Arctic University of Norway)
The Odum Institute Data Archive (University of North Carolina)
Finnish Social Science Data Archive (Tampere University)
B.2 CTS Certified Repositories - Applications Not Reviewed
Scholars' Mine (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
Merritt (University of California)
The Qualitative Data Repository (Syracuse University)
B.3 Other Helpful CTS Links
Dataverse Community Meeting 2021 - CoreTrustSeal Certification on June 16th
Open Repositories 2021 - Panel on Dataverse Community and CoreTrustSeal on June 10th
Dataverse Community Meeting 2020 - Session on CTS Certification
C. Example Policies from Reviewed CTS Applications
Each of the six reviewed CTS applications have their own page that includes a list of all files, related to that repository, that are available for download. Each page also includes a high-level review of the most relevant documents from that repository.
C.1 DANS: EASY
This page contains a comparison of the documents referenced in each of the six application – by requirement. This comparison demonstrates that there is a wide-range of documentation used by the six analyzed repositories to justify how they comply to each requirement.
This page contains a review of the 16 CTS requirements and what recommended documented evidence is required by both Scholars Portal and Member Institutions to demonstrate compliance for each requirement. This recommended documented evidence is based on both the instructions provided for each requirement by CTS, and the six example applications reviewed and noted above.
D. Digital Preservation Info
Preservation Expert Group (Portage)
D.1 Preservation Planning Resources
Systematic Planning for Digital Preservation - Becker et al. 2009
Government of Canada:
- Digital Preservation Toolkit
- Digital Preservation Plan Framework for Cultural Heritage Institutions
- Digital Preservation Survey: 2011 Prelim Results
InterPARES 2 Project:
Digital Preservation Coalition:
Interesting Journal Articles:
- Hurley, G. (2020). Doing Digital Preservation: Notes from the Digital Preservation Management Workshop Public Panel. Off the Record, 36(1), pp. 23-25.
- Baucom, E. (2019). Planning and Implementing a Sustainable Digital Preservation Program. Library Technology Reports: Expert Guides to Library Systems and Services, 55(6). https://doi.org/10.5860/ltr.55n6
- Edward M. Corrado (2019) Repositories, Trust, and the CoreTrustSeal, Technical Services Quarterly, 36:1, 61-72, https://doi.org/10.1080/07317131.2018.1532055
- Francke, H., Gamalielsson, J. & Lundell, B. (2017). Institutional repositories as infrastructures for long-term preservation. Information Research, 22(2), paper 757. Retrieved from http://InformationR.net/ir/22-2/paper757.html (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/6r2RUhEeO)
E. Data Curation Info
Curation Expert Group (Portage)
- Data Curation Commons
- Canadian Data Curation Network (Google Group)
- Data Curation Primer
- Dataverse North Metadata Best Practices Guide (v2.0) (new version in development)
- Curation Guide in development.
Interesting Journal Articles:
- Boyd C. Use of Optional Data Curation Features by Users of Harvard Dataverse Repository. Journal of eScience Librarianship 2021;10(2): e1191. https://doi.org/10.7191/jeslib.2021.1191. Retrieved from https://escholarship.umassmed.edu/jeslib/vol10/iss2/1
- Trisovic, A.; Mika, K.; Boyd, C.; Feger, S.; Crosas, M. Repository Approaches to Improving the Quality of Shared Data and Code. Data 2021, 6, 15. https://doi.org/10.3390/data6020015
- Lafferty-Hess, S., Rudder, J., Downey, M., Ivey, S., Darragh, J., & Kati, R. (2020). Conceptualizing Data Curation Activities Within Two Academic Libraries. Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication, 8(General Issue), eP2347. https://doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.2347
- Lee DJ, Stvilia B (2017) Practices of research data curation in institutional repositories: A qualitative view from repository staff. PLoS ONE 12(3): e0173987. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0173987
F. Example Policies from Dataverse Community
Please go to this page to view policies and processes gathered from member institutions.
If your institution has documented policies or processes for your institutional Dataverse that are not yet listed, please let us know and we'll post them on this page.
Other Useful Links:
The Dataverse Project Guide (IQSS, Harvard)
Scholars Portal Trusted Digital Repository Application Documentation (last updated in 2016)
Scholars Portal Contact for CTS Project:
Alicia Cappello - Dataverse Preservation and Policy Coordinator - alicia.cappello (at) utoronto (dot) ca
Cohort Email Alias:
cts-project (at) scholarsportal (dot) info