Apr 11, 2014
Nick Ruest (York)
Anna St. Onge (York)
- @Karen Suurtamm (UofT)
- @Peter Houston (NipissingU)
- Jeremy Heil (Queens)
- @Laurie Morrison (Brock)
- Wade Wyckoff (McMaster)
- @Gabriela Mircea (McMaster)
- Unknown User (saraa) (UTSC)
- Kirsta Stapelfeldt (UTSC)
- Sarah Forbes (UTSC)
- @John Warren (Carleton)
- Stephen Marks
- Jenny Jing (Queens)
- David Sharron (Brock U)
@mention a person to add them as an attendee and they will be notified.
- Event planning
- Digital Curation Community Annual Report 2013-2014
- 2014-2015 Planning
- ODLRC update
2) In which area do you feel you would like more training?
21 - Specific digital preservation tools
19 - Digital Preservation Workflow
12 - Digitization of specific formats (audio, video, photographic, film etc.)
9 - Metadata standards
9 - Digital storage
7 - Research data management
7 - Digital Humanities
1 - Other – markup for reuse of data
1 - Other – All of the above
3) About which of the following practices would you like to learn more?
17 - Setting up or connecting to a repository
16 - Accessioning born-digital records
16 - Preservation planning
16 - Best practices for digitization
15 - Creation of Archival Information Packages (AIPs)
13 - Website archiving
7 - Data management plans
1 - Other – Faculty Outreach
4) About which of the following tools would you like to learn more?
26 - Archivematica (Digital Preservation)
18 - Omeka (Discovery)
16 - Islandora/Fedora (Repository)
15 - Heritrix (Web archiving)
13 - FITS (File Information tools)
8 - BagIt (File Transfer)
5 - ACE (Audit control)
4 - Dataverse (Repository)
1 - Other – any of the above!
1 - Other - tei
5) Details on OCUL event
- Clear understanding of diff between curation, management, preservation & archiving. Examples from hum/soc & sciences.
- cloud services
- Image archiving
The way is clear, thanks to the survey.
Perhaps done in 2-3 segments throughout the day
Two clear issues: desire for discussion of practice then tools
Comments for events: Focus on learning new tools to feed it into a series of webinars.
We do not want to overwhelm participants with a day of intensive training.
More general learning opportunity, then a more focused workshop.
Pre-testing involved? That can narrow our focus and help structure/unstructure the webinar to suit our audience
Webinars are probably best to build skills/knowledge up to November
Tentative November event (location? Offer from Gerstein Library?). People from away are okay with a weekend getaway in Toronto.
-have it finished by 3pm.
ACTION: Doodle poll the community for dates: 7, 14, 21, 28 November 2014.
ACTION: Form event planning working group (Kelli Babcock, Jenny Jing Unknown User (saraa), Stephen Marks too (as able), Laurie Morrison (will be a 'doer'))
Draft annual report is available here.
Confusion about annual report - why are we being asked to write one? We need to justify why we're not using the money this year, we're given permission to push this into 2014-2015 year.
Do we need a high-level workplan or just an activity plan?
Work plan: keep to three high-level objectives that are clearly structured and documented.
Recommendations and proposals section: any requests?
So far it is to have standing agenda item in our meetings to update community on what is happening in Cloud Storage project, Technical Committees.
ACTION: Nick Ruest will clean up this report, have final draft out by 14/15 April 2014 for comment and review to be submitted by 18 April 2014.
-Community event in November
Jenny Jing: Queen's is investigating buying a new scanner for oversized historical materials. How to evaluate the possibility for consortial purchases for larger pieces of specialized hardware for digitization?
Good test for this network. But worth investigating as a wider activity of this group.
ACTION: Jeremy Heil Jenny Jing Anna St. Onge and Stephen Marks (eyeballs only) are going to write a short rationale of investigating the possibility of a consortial/regional digitization centres
Stephen Marks reported that the ODLRC was in the process of spending lots of money (in a responsible way) to buy up storage via UofT RFP (which had to be a confidential) process before 31 March 2014. Currently pulling back together the steering committees to help direct these activities moving forward. Committees are responsible for technical activities and governance of the network.
Next week webinar of members of those two groups re. project, OpenStack
There is a draft work plan that once it is approved will be available to a larger community (in a week or two?).
Preliminary discussion with Artefactual Systems Inc. re. integration of Archivmatica with OpenStack system (archivists all smile).
|Webinars - early organization|
Discussion: more of a case study, best practices, something that will feed into our in-person discussion in November 2014. Do we want the developers' perspective?
ACTION: (All) We want to populate our bibliography with more resources of existing webinars/instructional videos for our community. Let's not reinvent the wheel, but this activity will also identify gaps.
ACTION: Nick Ruest Doodle poll of blocks of time that would be practical for webinar scheduling
- Nick Ruest Circulate a doodle poll to the community for dates (7, 14, 21, 28 November 2014 ) of community event
- Form event planning working group (Kelli Babcock, Jenny Jing Unknown User (saraa), Stephen Marks too (as able), Laurie Morrison (will be a 'doer'))
- Nick Ruest will clean up this report, have final draft out by 14/15 April 2014 for comment and review to be submitted by 18 April 2014.
- Jeremy Heil Jenny Jing Anna St. Onge and Stephen Marks (eyeballs only) are going to write a short rationale of investigating the possibility of a consortial/regional digitization centres
- Jeremy Heil : possible lead for webinar for Archivematica (case study, 15-20 minute presentation, do the full workflow)
- Nick Ruest Anna St. Onge Unknown User (saraa) Kirsta Stapelfeldt (webinar on Islandora - comparison)
- Nick Ruest : circulate Doodle poll to community for chunks of time that work in July/August 2014 for webinars.
- EVERYONE: populate bibliography with webinars/videos etc. that are of use to our community.
Meeting adjorned at 11:00am. Next meeting 18 JULY 2014 at 10:00am.