Designated Community Definition
The purpose of Scholars Portal's preservation efforts is to ensure long term access to a critical mass of works that has intellectual significance and long-term value, and deliver this in an environment that allows for ease of searching, browsing, retrieval, and reuse. As a Service Provider, Scholars Portal's primary user community consists of:
- The 21 OCUL member institutions.
- Scholars Portal's non-OCUL Subscribers.
Secondary user communities include:
- students, faculty, staff, and other user groups from all OCUL member institutions.
- authorized user communities for non-OCUL Subscriber institutions.
Tertiary user communities include:
- Information producers, including publishers, both commercial and open access, as well as creators of data (including numeric and geospatial) preserved in Scholars Portal.
- Members of the general public, both as incidental patrons of OCUL member institutions, and as parties accessing freely available content (including open access and out-of-copyright works) through Scholars Portal.